Saturday, October 11, 2008

A separate blog for a separate goal.

Not that http://katofawesome.blogspot.com has a goal, but I thought I'd start a blog for the purpose of reading the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I think that if anyone becomes aware of this blog's existence, they will make sure I don't delete it in a heated argument between myself and any of the following books:

1. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
2. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
3. Underworld by Don DeLillo
4. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Being the overly ambitious person that I am, (see http://youtube.com/1001goals if you don't believe me), I have decided to give this one a fair go. I have decided this is where I will review each book read, giving it a summary, my opinion, which, depending on the book, will be either very long or very short. I will start on this blog entry by listing the ones I have read. I'm not going to go back and review them all, but may make comment on certain ones as I list them here, if I loved them or not.

I will, however, neglect to put the latest one read, onto this blog entry, and review that in the blog entry above this one.

So, without further ramble, I present to you the short (not the shirt, as I had written) list of books already completed from this mammoth list:

1. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon (Brilliant. Amazing. Read it)
2. Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer (Well worth reading)
3. Austerlitz - Paul Auster (Didn't really like it all that much)
4. Life of Pi - Yann Martel (Brilliance)
5. The Devil and Miss Prym - Paulo Coelho (I love this author. He is generally amazing)
6. Veronika Decides to Die - Paulo Coelho (Clearly a bit of influence came into the reading of these two. Fantastic authors get more reads from me)
7. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy (Read it!)
8. The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides (Pretty much an amazing story)
9. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams (Hilariousness on a table spoon. The couch bit is the best! It's pretty much amazing in every way)
10. The Black Dahlia - James Ellroy (A bit of a drag, although better than the film version. Not hard though)
11. Perfume - Patrick Suskind (<33333 on a stick, with a piece of cheese, and such. This is amazing. I own it)
12. White Noise - Don DeLillo (Although still not sure what this book was entirely about at the time I completed reading it, it was interesting. Lol. That sounds weird.)
13. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (What do I say about this one? This is one of my favourite series of all time. You can't read just the first one. That's almost illegal.
14. Interview with the vampire - Anne Rice (As long I ignore the film version and never watch it, this will forever be a great book)
15. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath (I have much love for this book. Sylvia Plath is amazing. Or was)
16. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (If you are reading this blog, and are yet to read this book, get out, and don't come back til you have!)
17. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway (Short, quick, good)
18. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger (If you've made it past To Kill a Mockingbird, but haven't read this, you must leave as well.)
19. Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell (I very much loved this book. It was quick, easy and intersting to read)
20. Animal Farm - George Orwell (Not as good as Nineteen Eighty-Four, but perhaps that's because I had to study this one)
21. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery (A quick, beautiful story for children and adults. Wonderful!)
22. The Outsider - Albert Camus (I'm reading the ones I've read off a spreadsheet, but can't see author names, so I'm surprised that the only one I had to look at was the last one. The Outsider, yes, good book)
23. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien (Do you really need a review? I mean, really)
24. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald (Studied it, and managed to love it. This book is awesome. I bought it because I loved it so much. Well, rather, saved it from a second-hand store.
25. A Room With a View - E.M. Forster (One of the best romance novels ever written)
26. Dracula - Bram Stoker (Remains amazing, although my opinion on vampires being so evil has changed since reading this. Edward Cullen is an influential man.)
27. The Time Machine - H.G. Wells (Only one of his I've read, but it's well worth it. Very different concept of time machines to what we have. With the TARDIS and all)
28. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde (The easiest classic I have ever been fortunate enough to read. I believe I bought it at some point. I don't remember when. Oh, yes I do. That was that day at that bookstore when the cute guy working there was all 'Finally! Someone's bought something of value!')
29. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson (The best bits of this book were the bits that you see in the Pirates films. Mentions of Davey Jones, and the songs. I didn't find it amazing, but it's still worth reading)
30. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy (Probably one of the most brilliant books ever. This book is amazing, and you will find that is the case if you make it through its 820 or so pages.)
31. Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll (Must I review it?)
32. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott (Read it a looonngggg time ago)
33. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll (Again, does it really need reviewing?)
34. The Pit and the Pendulum - Edgar Allan Poe (Something perhaps a little crazy. Poe was probably a madman)
35. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (Arguably the best romance novel. Perhaps)
36. A Modest Proposal - Jonathan Swift (Hilarious. Simply hilarious)

I have missed one. Now I must go back and figure out which ones.
I can't figure it out. Ok, I found it. I am ashamed.

37. Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut (Kurt Vonnegut is amazing. I can't believe I missed this one. Of all the ones to miss. Brilliant book. Really and truly brilliant.)

There you go, there is the list, with comments, of the ones I have read already. :D

No comments: