Saturday, October 25, 2008

[41] Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren


Pippi Longstocking wasn't in the original version of the list, but has since been added to the updated version. I can see why something else was thrown out, and this one thrown in. It's a great children's book, and one that can still be enjoyed by adults who may not have read this yet. I didn't read it during my childhood. I am not sure why I didn't, but somehow I managed to skip past it.

As everyone SHOULD know, Pippi Longstocking is a girl who lives on her own, and has the ability of super strength. It's not a long book, at 128 pages it is probably one of the easiest books to read on the list. Which is a brilliant thing, because it needs to balance out the likes of Infinite Jest and War and Peace.

I don't think much else needs to be said about Pippi Longstocking. It has sold 40 million or so copies worldwide in its 50 or so years of being published. If you haven't read it yet I suggest that you do. At least in reading it you'll be able to say you've read another of those books one should read before they die.

No comments: