Saturday, October 11, 2008

[38] A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka


This book makes me glad, because I could have started with any number of books that I may not have enjoyed. This book, however, I enjoyed on much the same level as most of the books seen in the previous list.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian is a book about an old 84 year old Ukrainian man, of whom has lived in Britain for 50 years, who wishes to marry a 36 year old Ukrainian woman, names Valentina, because he believes she needs help with being allowed to stay in Britain.

The story is told from the viewpoint of his 47 year old daughter (and youngest daughter) Nadia. Nadia, combined with the help from her sister, of whom she hasn't spoken to for two years, helps to uncover the scheming, selfish woman that Valentina is.

It's a very interesting book and has some quite funny moments, funny being on a similar level to say, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Which is most certainly another book you should have already read. If not, I will have to shoot you.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian is a very recent book. First published in Great Britain in 2005, and the edition I read, published by Penguin Australia in 2006. Being this recent, it wasn't actually on the first edition of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I hope in all hell that this book is never removed from the list, in possible future editions.

All in all, this was an excellent book to start with, in this 'little' project of mine. Hopefully the next book will be just as good.

Next to be read:

Falling Man by Don DeLillo - a book that revolves around 9/11. So, it's a very very different book from the one I just read. I've read two books by Don DeLillo though, so it should be alright. The Body Artist by Don DeLillo was my favourite of his so far, but was removed from this edition of the list, sadly.

Anywho, this is enough book for me. Tune in next time.

No comments: