Monday, January 5, 2009

[44] Atonement


Atonement by the wonderful Ian McEwan.  McEwan has three books on this version of the list, making him one of the most populous authors on the list.  Before the new version of the list was released, he had eight.  I am so thankful for the revision, because, whilst good, lets face it, no one needs eight spots on a list like this.  Only Charles Dickens had one more than McEwan, and has now been reduced down to four. Thank goodness for that, I don't think I could handle that much Dickens.  Anyway, I was at least pleased with my first selection of Ian McEwan.  

If there's one thing I learnt from Atonement, it's not to have such an evil stupid little sister like Briony Tallis.  Briony Tallis is the most evil girl I have ever come across, novel wise.  She has absolutely no common sense.  

I'd have to say my favourite character was Cecelia Tallis, the older sister of Briony, with a close second to Robbie Turner, of whom is like some amazing version of Mr Darcy.  Not that Mr Darcy isn't already amazing, but still, Robbie is awesome.  

This is a great book, saddening, yet great.  I didn't cry reading it, but I know that if I watch the film version, I will.  It's that kind of story.  Not that I didn't cry when Mufasa died in The Lion King, but still.  

Anywho, as I normally say, I know why this is on the list, it deserves to be here, it's amazing, worth reading, and I highly recommend it, especially if you've seen and enjoyed the film, or are interesting in viewing the film.  Read it first. 

:D

No comments: